Mummy's thoughts (and worries...)
One of my most rewarding and pleased moments, is when the children are sleeping, leaving me with my adrenalin running on auto-pilot mode still. I would spare some minutes looking at them while they sleep and wonder how did I manage to survive their waking moments. For the past three and half year, I have been straddling in and out of pregnancy and post-pregnancy status, leaving me with little energy to enjoy motherhood. Now that Im almost done with child-birth (am I??), its high time I give some thoughts about planning for their future.
Some would say that it is still too early for me to fret over this issue but I have been in teaching (private and mainstream) long enough to know the difference between children whose parents paved ways for them and those who are less bothered. I have to admit that majority of those who had at least a parent who stays home and is constantly around to guide them academically and spiritually are better behaved. I have my ideals as a parent and thus understand my opportunity costs if I opt to take a step back in my career to run the family full time.
Many like-minded colleagues/friends of mine agree that once our kids are born, they are swept into a whirlpool of competition and this rat race begins more evidently for parents. The hunt for suitable programmes that gears our children ready for the fierce competition is never-ending. Even as a teacher, I need to admit that I'm almost always swept off my feet by fanciful programmes sprouting islandwide. Some courses are costly while most are affordable. But adding up those that a child goes for can be a jaw-dropping amount already, not mentioning having to multipy by the number of children one has. Right, I have to really tighten my purse strings.
When I didn't have a choice, I would harp on the possibility to quitting my job and stay home to manage the children's learning and upbringing. However, now that hubby offers me this choice that Ive always been yearning, I find myself deliberating for ages, unable to come to any firm decision. With less than 2 months to make the decision, I'm still at a loss.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Posted by DNATan on Tuesday, October 13, 2009
to our Old place 


Download FREE Flash Plugins for proper viewing of videos and slides on this site